It’s the most wonderful time of the year! A time where families, friends and loved ones come together and socialise. Most people will no doubt have a few Christmas parties to attend over December, so how do you make yours stand out from the rest? We’ve got you covered!
Choosing a date
First things first, you’ll need a date that will suit the majority of your invitees. Christmas is a very busy period for most people, so deciding on a certain date early and getting your ‘save the date’ out asap is key.
Deciding what type of party you want to have
Inside? Outside? Daytime? Night time? Costume-themed? Long table dinner? BBQ and beers? There are many options for Christmas parties, all of which involve varying amounts of time and effort. Decide on your celebration style, and the to-do-list will follow.
Let’s say you’ve decided to go with a non-themed, night-time, house party with nibbles supplied; BYO alcohol and good spirits.
What you’ll need:
Food & Drinks
Probably the most important part of any party, wouldn’t you agree? Make sure you ask your guests to include any dietary requirements or restrictions (i.e. vegan, gluten-free, etc.) on their RSVPs so you can cater accordingly.
Simple finger-food style nibbles like crackers and dips, mini sliders and home-made biscuits are ideal for entertaining large groups.
Despite whether or not your event is BYO, a punch bowl makes a delicious addition and will take your party standard from good to great!
One thing that a lot of parties tend to struggle with is having enough fridge space for everyone’s drinks. Save asking your guests to BYO esky by renting an extra fridge for the night!
Music & Entertainment
If you want to go all out, hiring a DJ or small band setup is an excellent way to keep your guests entertained and boogying all night long! If you want to stick to the basics, grab some speakers and plug in your iPhone – there are plenty of Christmas-themed Spotify playlists out there to choose from!
Time to untangle the tinsel, hang the holly and lace some lights around your house!
Decorating for a Christmas party is an exciting and fun activity that allows your creative juices to flow and your home to shine (literally, if you utilise candles on tables or mantelpieces).
Making your party stand out from the rest
Wanting to make your party rise above the rest? Try one or more of the following:
- Hire a photographer (or ask a photo-savvy family friend) to take happy snaps to post on social media, so your guests can remember the good times.
- Organise a few optional games for your guests (pin the tail on the reindeer is a classic and can be fun amongst both the adults and the kids)
- If your house doesn’t have air conditioning, hire an air conditioning unit to help your guests stay cool in the classic Australian Christmas heat.
- Put together goodie bags for your guests (depending on your budget, you might want to leave your guests with something
- Having people stay the night? Grab some extra furniture for the evening to give them a comfy sleep.